Exporting Google Sketchup models
This plug-in is for FREE and we offer no warranty for it.
For improving it please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- version 1.6.1 -
Sketchup is a program for designing 3D models. By using it you can rapidly draw objects like furniture, buildings, 3D structures.
Optimal Programs offers you a free plugin which export the size of pieces from a Sketchup model to Cutting Optimization pro and to Simple Cutting Software X.
For exporting the models created with Sketchup please follow the steps:
1. Download the Sketchup plugin from:
2. The program works only with version 7 (or newer) of the Google Sketchup. If you don't have this version please download it from here.
3. Close all instances of Sketchup.
Now we have to find where the file cut.rbs must be copied. This depends on the version that you have.
4 a). If you have version 7, 8 or 2013 locate the Plugins folder. By default it should be:
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 7\Plugins
c:\Program Files (x86)\SketchUp\SketchUp 2013\Plugins
4 b). If you have version 2014 or newer, locate the working folder. By default it should be:
5. Copy the file cut.rbs (previously downloaded) in the Plugins folder.
6. Start Sketchup.
In Plugins / Extensions menu you should see a submenu called Cutting Optimization pro exporter
7. Load a model (structure) in Sketchup.
The model must meet some basic requirements:
- Parts must be either of type Group or ComponentInstance
- We dont export faces, simpled edges, etc. For instance, the walls of a locker must be 3D components (or groups) which have Height, Width and Depth.
- The pieces which are NOT placed parallel with the axes of coordinates must be initially created as Component having the edges parallel with the axes of coordinates and then moved to the new position. If this requirements are not implemented, the size of the pieces will not be correctly exported.
An example of a 3D model can be found here (click for download).
8. Select the components and groups that you want to export to Cutting Optimization pro or Simple Cutting Software X.
9. Press menu Plugins/Extensions | Cutting Optimization pro
10. You will be asked for various info. If you want to change the language, you must restart the Skechup for seeing the strings in the new language. Press OK.
11. If the export was successful, then a message will appear that contains the file name and the path where the data have been saved. The file has the same name with the Sketchup file, but with xml extension (which is the native extension for Cutting Optimization pro and Simple Cutting Software X files). The folder where the file is saved is the same with the folder where the Sketchup file is located.
12. Now you can load the .xml file in Cutting Optimization pro (like a Demand). You need at least version 5.x of the Cutting Optimization pro. If you have an older version please download a newer one from here. Any version of Simple Cutting Software X should be able to load the xml files.